Road Safety At St Joseph's
Road safety at St Joseph's is important to everyone. This information has been designed to give you an understanding of the traffic management plan that has been implemented by St Joseph's school for the benefit of all where staff and students can travel to and from school safely.
Please take the time to read this information and please speak to Mr Brendan Kiely, the School Principal, if you have any questions (or suggestions) about traffic management around the school.
Drop off & pick up of students
Students at St Joseph's travel to and from school using a variety of modes of transport, including a school bus, private vehicle, on foot and by bicycle. St Joseph's front entrance is situated on King Street, and our back entry fence is located on Avondale Street. Both operate a School Zone from 8.00 am to 9.30 am and from 2.30 pm to 4.00 pm. The School Zones help protect our children on their way to and from school at the times and places where they are often in high numbers. Please note the speed limit during these times is 40 kilometres per hour.
Avondale Street - Kiss and Drop Zone
The Kiss and drop off Zone in Avondale street is only used for picking up or dropping off passengers or goods.
This area is designed for the convenience of parents and carers and for the safety of children. This is a non Parking zone, which means drivers can stop for a maximum of two minutes. This area minimises traffic congestion for all and aims to maximise student safety.
St Joseph's traffic management would prefer you stay in your car at all times. When parents and carers are picking up their children in the afternoon, staff will assist your children into your car.
If the traffic queue has backed up, please do not double park and go around the block again until you can safely drive into Avondale Street.
To use the Kiss and Drop Zone, your child must be able to get themselves in or out of the vehicle and be able to use a seat belt to unbuckle or buckle up.
School-aged children should always travel in the rear of their vehicles. Each child must be firmly buckled into an appropriate seat belt or child restraint.
Tip: Try to make a rule that every child passenger must be securely buckled into a seat belt or child restraint before you start the car. Assist your young child in buckling up and always check the buckle.
School Bus Zone
Please do not stop or park in the bus zone during Bus Zone times. 8.00 am – 9.30 am and again 2.30 pm – 4.00 pm.
Parking signs with specified time limits allow drivers to park their vehicles for a certain period of time only, e.g. 15-minute parking.
Double parking at any time is illegal and is particularly dangerous around schools. It reduces visibility and blocks the road for other motorists. Children stepping onto the road to get into or out of a double-parked car are not visible to other motorists.
U-Turns are discouraged near the school. The amount of traffic in the vicinity of the school means that U-turn manoeuvres are unsafe and block traffic flow. Please do
not undertake a U-turn anywhere within the school zone.
No Stopping zones
An unbroken yellow line painted on the curbside of the road also indicates a No Stopping zone.
Sometimes there is a space close to a corner that might seem like a good spot to park. It's NOT. It is illegal to park less than 10 metres from the corner, even if it is not signposted.
Parking on the corner blocks vision for turning drivers and creates a hazard for all motorists, pedestrians and especially for the children trying to cross the road.
Please do not use your mobile phone in the school zone, as research has proven that it is a dangerous distraction and compromises the safety of your children.
St Joseph's Traffic Committee
- Please consider arriving closer to 3.30 pm.
- When you reach the pick-up zone, drive to the front of the queue so that as many cars as possible can pull in behind you. Don't just park in front of the school gate.
- Ensure your child's seatbelt is securely fastened before pulling away from the kerb.
- Please display a clear sign with the family name (don't assume that the teacher will know you or your car).
- Please use Range Street to access the Avondale Street pick up zone.
- Please let grandparents and other carers know this information if they are going to collect your children from school.
- Please consider neighbours.
- You don't need to get out of the car as supervising teachers will assist your children to get into the car. For their safety, children should only get into and out of the car directly onto the kerb. If this is not possible due to baby capsules or other child restraints, please consider how you might organise your children to ensure their safety.
- Do not jump the queue of waiting for traffic.
- Do not double park and walk your children across Avondale Street.
- Do not do a U-turn anywhere in the vicinity of the school.
- If you are in a queue, do not move into the pick-up zone until you know for certain that space is available. If you end up stopping in the 'No Stopping' zone, by law, you can be booked.
Please delay your arrival until after 3.15 pm (except for kindergarten) as children do not arrive at the gates until this time.
If your child is not at the gate on your arrival, be prepared to be directed by staff to go around the block.
Do not park across neighbours driveways or garages at any time.
Please be patient
Your patience and co-operation are essential as we work together to make both our school drop off and pick up zones and the surrounding streets safe for children, neighbours and the community.
At all other times, before, during and after school, please do not park across the school driveway and leave your car unattended.